Skip to main content

Site now running on django 1.0

hence the bump in minor version - 3.1

While researching on grails and the patterns around it, I looked at django, rails, and lift. All these are quite amazing frameworks that get you started on an application like in 5 mins or less (That includes database layer, view pages, and controllers). Yeah it cannot do everything you want but its there to get you to kick off.

And then I realized, how much effort I am putting in maintaining my site on hand coded - wsgi.webapp based - Python app. So I started working to move this to django based multi app site. If you dont know, I host this site on Google App Engine. It does come with a patched, short featured, django of its own. However, I preferred to use app-engine-patch and deploy with a supplied django 1.0. You get most benefits of django with this port. A very big tip of hat to Waldemar Kornewald and his team for this patch. (Guess what, They also have a similar concept of stitching mutiple js/css files - media generator)

I can see how rapidly I can develop applications and deploy using django. I simply moved jscss.py to django views.py. My first sub-app is a dynamically manageable urls. All the following urls are served by my new django app.

http://sarathonline.com/java
http://sarathonline.com/green

Next, grails?

Popular posts from this blog

Javascript: Convert Strings to Binary (and representing in a nerdy way!)

I follow those GoogleDevelopers Videos . Sometime back, in one of the presentations on GoogleIO, there was this interesting string of dots at the bottom of each page of the presentation . They looked like random big and small dots. A similar bunch of dots were also on the T-shirt of a presenter was wearing in another presentation . While it seemed something in the pattern, I could not find what it was. Finally, another presenter cleared the matter that those dots are just binary representation of "GOOGLEIO" (So much for advertizing Google IO, Impressive!). So I wanna do it. Takes me back to days of those DSP classes at school. Nerdy me had to churn some old brain cells. I remember those first programming language classes in Pascal and C when you were asked to do fibonacci series and converting a binary string to ascii codes. That *experience* came handy here: Check it out! Text to Binarize: For those who came to copy the javascript code to convert string to binary,

MySql Copying Table Structures.

Some times you need to copy only table structures across databases. This article describes two ways of doing it. If the whole database schema need to be exported, mysqldump is very effective. A --nodata flag will dump all tables' schema. Like this. mysqldump --nodata -p -u username databaseName But if you want to copy a specific table, individually, you could use "create table like" feature. You could create it even from a different database. However it must be on the same mysqld instance. Like this. create table newtable like oldtable; --Or from a table in other database create table mytable like otherdatabase.tablename;

javascript maxlength for textarea with \r\n breaks in java (esp Firefox)

Textareas allow new lines to enter. These are represented by \n (1) or \r\n (2) characters. But when you save to DB you have a limit to certain length of chars. There is no maxlength attribute in HTML that will stop you from entering data. This is generally acomplished by Javascript. You do a onkeyup hook and stop event or trim after textarea.value.length > maxlength. There are many other solutions out there.. But.. Here is the problem that most of those solutions overlook, How do you deal with the count on \n and \r\n representations. Lets first see how it matters. If the text entered has new lines, the length is calculated differently in Firefox and IE. When you enter a Text like 01234 567890 You expect the textarea.value.length to be 11. (10 chars + new line).On the backend, however, java would recieve it as 12 chars (10 chars + \r\n) (this is irrespective of FF or IE). So you are effectively saving 12 chars to DB. Worse yet, IE seems to figure textarea.value.length as 12 (