Are you one of those people who don't have Gingerbread on your captivate. Still with Éclair, because you don't want to *root* your phone or scared about voiding the warranty? You are in luck, Samsung released its AT&T stock update to froyo.
You have to get this using Samsung's "Kies Mini" program. Kies is a windows application that will safely (no warranty voids here) flash your phone. You are still recommended to save ALL your data before you do anything with the phone. Unfortunately, there is no love for Linux/mac users.
Here are the 3 steps
- Download and Install Kies. (if you already have it, skip)
- Connect your phone to USB port, make sure it has at least 60% battery (on phone and pc) and choose Kies (firmware update) mode from the usb connection selection
- Click on the button "Update Phone" on Kies Mini, And wait patiently for 10-25 mins. Wait until the phone comes back to complete home screen. The following screens are for illustration what will happen on kies during this time.
- disconnect the USB cable in the process
- run any programs that can make the PC stuck
- press any buttons on the phone until it is back to Home screen
Hope this helps. Good luck with froyo.